Provider Training - Professionals
Beyond the Health Care Proxy: Advance Care Planning for Patients with Serious Illness is a training for physicians developed by the Unwarranted Clinical Variations in End-of-Life Care Workgroup jointly led by the Excellus BlueCross BlueShield and University of Rochester Medical Center, under the co-leadership of Dr. Patricia Bomba and Dr. Timothy Quill. This provider training will help physicians initiate thoughtful conversations and learn how to get paid for providing advance care planning for patients with serious illness. The training outlined below mirrors the initial November 7, 2009 train-the-trainer conference.
Before you begin the training, complete the pre-test.
Start the training by reviewing the PowerPoints and reading materials.
Do the skills training with a physician who attended the November conference or has received skills training.
Beyond the Health Care Proxy: Advance Care Planning for Patients with Serious Illness Agenda
Plenary 1 - A Two-Step Approach to Advance Care Planning pps
Plenary 2 - Effective Communication Using the 8-Step MOLST Protocol & Documentation Form pps
Intro. to Small Group 1 - Reflective Listening role play pps
Small Group 1 - What Makes This Hard? Can We Make It Any Easier? faculty guide article
Plenary 3 - Myths and Truths of CPR and other Life-Sustaining Treatment pps
Small Group 2 - Using What You Know faculty guide article prognostic scoring reflective listening
Plenary 4 - The Nuts and Bolts of Getting Paid for MOLST Discussions pdf excel
Review - Advance Care Planning Resources and References here
In order to qualify for enhanced reimbursement, a physician must successfully complete the post-test.
Trainers are welcome to replicate any resources on this page and throughout CompassionAndSupport.org.
Training for office and billing managers is offered throughout the year. For further details, view our Events page.
Insurers who Provide this Coverage & Qualifications
- Excellus BlueCross BlueShield initiated the new reimbursement model effective November 9, 2009 after the initial trainers conference. Physicians qualify for enhanced reimbursement with successful completion of the pre-test, the training outlined above and the post-test. For questions please contact Patricia Bomba, MD at Patricia.Bomba@lifethc.com or toll free at 877-718-6709.
- MVP Health Care initiated the new reimbursement model after the initial trainers conference. Physicians qualify for enhanced reimbursement with successful completion of the pre-test, the training outlined above and the post-test. Upon completion, MVP Health Care will send you an amendment to Attachment B, Section 1 of the Medical Services Agreement, "Reimbursement and Surplus/Risk Sharing Program - Palliative Care Services". For questions please contact Domonic Galante, MD at DGalante@mvphealthcare.com.
In This Section
- Advance Care Planning
- MOLST Training Center
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 8-Step MOLST Protocol
- MOLST Chart Documentation Forms for Adult Patients
- MOLST LIFE Pack
- MOLST and FHCDA Webinar Series
- EMS MOLST Training
- Resources for MOLST Trainers
- Order Free Educational Materials
- Provider Training
- MOLST Updates
- MOLST Videos
- Implementation Resources
- New York State Legislation
- Ethics Review Committee
- Quality Improvement
- Capacity Determination
- Case-Based Discussions
- Share a MOLST Case Study
- Feeding Tubes/PEGS
- Discussion Board
- Research & References
- Resources for Patients & Families
- Conferences & Events
- Archived Educational Curriculum
- Care Transitions Intervention
- Palliative Care
- Pain Management